Hey everyone, I’m April! I’m a Kelowna-based photographer and the face behind Wanderline Photo. After months of decisions, refining, and hard work behind the scenes, I’m beyond excited to share my new website, rebrand (plus a new name!), and the refreshed vision for my business.
So without further ado, let’s dive into my first ever blog post!
FROM HAYSTACK TO WANDERLINE
Before we look onwards, let’s go back for just a minute, shall we? My love for photography started at the age of 16 when I bought my first camera. After years of being a hobby photographer, I finally took the leap to go into photography professionally and started Haystack Photo Co. The name was inspired by one of my favorite places in Cannon Beach, Oregon. I found a way to combine my love for travel, people, and photography into a business – what could be better?!
Over the last year, my business (and life) has evolved into exactly what I dreamed it could be. I’ve captured so many amazing couples and business owners, started hosting networking events (with the lovely Crystal from Red Apple Tree Photography) specifically for Okanagan wedding professionals, and attended a week-long, inclusivity-based photography workshop in Oregon. Basically, I’ve been learning and growing A TON, and I didn’t feel like my old website (or name) truly represented the direction my business was heading. I knew it was time to take things up a notch.
The new and improved Wanderline Photo focuses on those who are wild at heart, who push past their comfort zones, and those who wander their own path. It also shows who I am as a photographer, my editing style, and the types of clients I love to capture. I not only wanted to establish myself further in the Kelowna photography community, but position my brand to grow into a Destination and Elopement photographer who is always down for an adventure!
The evolution of my photography business feels exactly the way I want clients to feel when we shoot together – authentic, natural, and completely unforced.
I knew that a rebrand wasn’t just a new logo or pretty color palette (which are important – I’m kind of obsessed with mine), but a way to tell the story of my business and how I can serve those who chose me as their photographer.
The theme of my brand is obviously inspired by adventures, preferably (but not necessarily) outside in nature or exploring someplace new. Rooted in genuine connection, the taste of coffee over sunrise, epic experiences, and amazing friends – I wanted the vibe of Wanderline Photo to be warm and earthy, yet fun and passionate.
BRINGING IT ALL TOGETHER
I couldn’t have gone through this rebrand process without the help of a few amazing talents here in BC. As a one-woman show, I value the expertise that others can bring to take my business where I want it to go. And when creative people come together, magic happens.
So, a huge shout out to some incredible humans who helped bring my vision to life:
Brand + Web Design: Denise from Desert Fox Design
I had the pleasure of working with Denise to create branding, print collateral, and web design that reflected my new direction. From the bold logo, to the beautiful typography, to the earthy color palette – she absolutely nailed the West Coast style I envisioned!
Web Design: Karl from Digital Storm Creative
Working with Karl was like taking a crash course on SEO and web development! He went above and beyond to help me understand everything that goes into creating a high ranking website. If you’re a non-techy type person (I feel you!), I highly recommend his expertise in coding and all things web design.
Copywriting: Christine from Vine & Wild Copy Co.
Christine took my scattered thoughts and provided me with website words that aligned with my ideas, spoke to my ideal clients, and incorporated every SEO detail we set out for. She combined the core values with the shifts I’ve made in my business to create copy that I’m so proud to share with the world.
Each of them have exciting things rolling out soon, so be sure to check them out and follow along!
WHAT’S TO COME
So, what’s to come?
· Updated Services – The site launch meant I had to do a bit of an overhaul on my services, and I’m pumped to say I offer A LOT of them! From elopements and weddings, to branding and lifestyle, to adventure and couples sessions, my goal is to help capture all of life’s special moments.
· New Blog – No site is fully complete without a blog and I’ll be keeping this one up to date with helpful, fun, and inspiring content for everyone who takes the time to read it. Here you’ll find some awesome stuff like location suggestions, photoshoot tips + tricks, client sessions, and behind the scenes of running a creative business. Whether you’re a BC local or visiting our beautiful province for your next adventure, this space will be an amazing resource for you!
· Free Client Guides – Speaking of helpful resources, stay tuned for some super helpful client guides to hit your mailbox in the near future! Now, this one will take a bit more time to complete (as all good things do), as I work on expanding what I can offer to clients. Think brand shoot prep guides, wedding checklists, maybe even a BC trails report – I promise to send you only the good stuff.
WHAT’S STAYING THE SAME
Although my branding has changed, here are a few things that haven’t…
· Brand values – My core values of Leave No Trace, Growth is Always Important, Love is love, and Relationships over Transactions will continue to guide me as I step into this next phase of my business.
· Communication and laid-back approach – I get to know my clients on a personal level, am always quick to respond, and love helping people create an experience they’ll never forget. I take a “sometimes plan, sometimes wing it” approach and aim to keep clients feeling comfortable and confident in shooting with me.
· Community over competition – I will continue to collaborate and support other creatives in the Kelowna community & beyond. These connections have helped me get to this point and inspire me to keep growing into the best photographer I can be.
So, if you’re reading this blog post, I invite you to check out the rest of my site, follow me on Instagram, and reach out anytime! Thank you so much for following along on this new chapter of Wanderline Photo – I hope you embrace it as much as I do. Here’s to all the exciting adventures to come….
Leave a Reply